- St. Andrew, The Patron Saint of Scotland
- The Will of Thomas Andrewes’ Widow
- The Andrews Family of Comber, County Down
- Richard Andrews of Southampton
- John and James Andrews, Convicts to Australia
- Archie Andrews
St. Andrew, The Patron Saint of Scotland
The status of Andrew amongst the twelve apostles was high because he was, along with Peter, the first to be chosen. According to tradition he was martyred for his faith at Patras. The earliest descriptions have him tied to an olive tree and left to die. However, accounts of a later date have converted the tree into the familiar X-shaped device, popularly called the St. Andrew’s Cross.
It was of course in his honor that the Scots, having adopted him as their patron saint, incorporated these diagonals into their national flag. Apparently a certain abbot named Regulus had brought some relics of the apostle from the East and placed them in a monastery around which the city of St. Andrews developed.
The Will of Thomas Andrewes’ Widow
Johane the widow of Thomas Andrewes, the master of Trinity House, was resident at Tower Hill, All Saints Barking when she left a will that has been preserved in the book Genealogical Gleanings in England.
She mentioned her son Lancelot, the Bishop of Winchester, who was in the list of fifty four learned men selected to make what is known as the King James Authorized Version of the Bible. The will
also mentioned her son Thomas and her brother-in-law William, to whom she left one third of a ship called the Mayflower under certain conditions. It was said that William came to America in 1663, after the original Pilgrims had arrived, and settled in Boston. There was also mention of a brother-in-law Robert Andrewes.
The Andrews Family of Comber, County Down
Sydney Andrews was a man with a story to tell. He was a director in the Belfast flour-milling firm of Isaac Andrews & Sons and a grandson of Isaac who had lived in the big house in Comber Square. His story was that of his family, the Andrews family of Comber, a story he researched during the years 1932-41. The finished product did not appear until 1958 – Nine Generations, A History of the Andrews Family of Comber, Co Down.
The book traced the family story right back to its roots in Ulster in the early 17th century. They appeared to have come over from Scotland at this time and probably settled on Mahee Island. They were originally called Andrew. Thomas Andrew, born in 1698, was the founder of the Andrews’ interest in milling. He it was who changed the family name to Andrews in 1735.
Richard Andrews of Southampton
Richard Andrews was a prominent Southampton civic leader of the 19th century. Andrews Park in Southampton was named after him and features his statue. The original statue, erected in 1860, was a grand affair, but the limestone weathered poorly and the pedestal was replaced in 1971.
The text on the plaque on his statue reads as follows:
“Born the son of a wheelwright at Bishop’s Hutton, Hampshire he became a coachbuilder of international fame. His manufactory in above bar was one of the town’s leading industries. Five times mayor of Southampton, he was known for his generosity and energy in furthering the prosperity of the town. A good employer, he devoted himself wholeheartedly to promoting the self-reliance of the working man.”
John and James Andrews, Convicts to Australia
The parish records of Cranborne in Dorset show three baptisms to Thomas and Elizabeth Andrews, Joseph born in 1797, John born in 1801, and James born in 1803.
Thomas and the three boys found themselves in trouble with the law. The process records from the Dorchester jail show Joseph serving three months in 1824 for poaching, James three months in 1825 for stealing potatoes, and Thomas three months for burglary. Each time the Rev. Henry Donne, the vicar at Cranborne, committed them.
In 1826 John and James were sentenced to seven years transportation for stealing two stocks of bees. Their behavior was described as rather disorderly and they were put on board a captivity hulk at Devonport. They were transported to Tasmania on the Bengal Merchant two years later in 1828.
John was sent to a Mr. Parramore at Ross as a ploughman and James was sent to a Mr. Batman at Ben Lomond as a farm laborer. They completed their sentences in 1834 and later migrated to Victoria.
Archie Andrews was a ventriloquist’s dummy used by ventriloquist Peter Brough in radio and TV shows in the UK in the 1950’s and 60’s.
In its radio format the show was called Educating Archie. The bizarre concept of delivering a ventriloquist act, a visual humor, by radio, an audio medium, never seemed to bother anyone at the time. The UK radio show attracted up to 15 million listeners and had a children’s fan club that at one time had 250,000 members.
Return to Andrews Main Page
Leave a Reply