Select Klinger Miscellany

 

Here are some Klinger stories
and
accounts over the years:

 

The Klinger Legend

In the district of Distelhausen along the Tauber river
in southern Hesse you can see the chapel of Saint Wolfgang.  Outside there is a gravestone with the name of
Johann Klinger.  In the inside is a stone
picture of the Holy Mary with some damage at the neck.
The story goes that in the Middle Ages the
farmer Johann Klinger was ploughing his field near the river Tauber.  His horse was sick and it was hard work.  There was a big stone lying on his field in his
path and he threw it into the river.
The next morning as he was starting again to plough, there came curiously the same stone in the same old place again.  He
threw it a second time into the river.  But as he
came on the third day to work on that field, the stone was there again at the same
location.
He got a strange feeling before he threw the stone a third time. He turned the stone over and was very astonished to find a picture showing Jesus Christ, Mary and Joseph and Saint Wolfgang.  He sank on his knees, praised the Lord and
requested health for his horse as well.  After
he had finished his horse was healed.  He
thanked the Lord by building the chapel for Saint Wolfgang and placing the stone on the inside.
As to the damage to
Mary’s neck, some oldies have told another story.In the 15th century the plague had killed half the
people of Distelhausen.  Those still living
swore to build a chapel for Saint Wolfgang if he would save them.  A short time after the promise was made the
plague went away.  The people built the
chapel and made every year on October 31 a procession in honor of Saint Wolfgang.
One day a bad man came into the chapel and not to pray. He saw the stone picture, cursed and beat the picture with his sword.  Only the damage which you can see today happened.  So he tried to beat harder to cut the head of Mary.  But he killed himself with that stroke.  Since that time there sometimes appears in clear moon nights a rider on a white horse in the fields carrying his head in his hands..

Klingerstown, Pennsylvania



The
villages of Klingerstown and Erdman are centered
around the Klingerstown Gap in the Mahantongo Mountain range of
Dauphin
and Schuylkill counties, Pennsylvania.  The
gap is
historically referred to as the ancient gateway at Klingerstown and is
known as
Spread Eagle.

An
Indian had carved a
spread eagle on a giant sycamore tree.  According
to tradition the tree stood near the center of Klingerstown.  This sycamore tree was blown down in a
windstorm in the early 1870’s.

It
was said
that Indian travelers on the Tulpehocken Path would frequent Philip
Klinger’s
residence at Klingerstown for trading purposes.  They
would knock on the back door of the log
house with their animal skins to enter this early trading post. 


In 2007 there was a community day service at what
was once called Klinger’s church in Erdman, where six area churches
participated in
commemorating the Revolutionary War patriots who were buried there.  Philip Klinger who had fought in this war
received
a new memorial marker.

A Theobald Klingler Line


Theobald
Klingler came to America on
the Friendship in 1738 and
settled in Heidelberg township, Berks county in
Pennsylvania.  One line to the 20th
century ran as follows:


Theobald
Klingler (born 1714) m. Maria Catherina Golbert

– John Klingler (1738-1789) m. Anna Maria Duegener

— Adam Klingler (1759-1843 in Ohio) m. Margaretha Brown

— Adam Klingler (1794-1876) m. Elizabeth Fiedler

—- David Klingler (1824-1875) m. Sarah Brocius

—– Molangthon Klingler (1848-1937).

 

David Klinger, Kansas Pioneer


Born
in
Ohio
in 1846, David Klinger married and headed west, first to Missouri and
then in 1887
to Ashland in western Kansas where he bought land to farm.  

His first work was
to break sod and plant a crop.  But that
crop was almost a total failure.  The
year 1887 was probably one of the driest ever experienced in this part
of
Kansas. This year put him almost on the rocks of bankruptcy and he had
to
resort to some other occupation to make a living.  In
the fall of 1887 he began buying up
poultry, butter and eggs and hauling them to market at Camp Supply
where he
sold his goods to the soldiers of the post.

Later he began experimenting with
wheat.  He sowed wheat for several
seasons and brought two good crops to the harvesting point.  But then they were almost totally destroyed by
hail.  Finally he lost the seed that he
had planted and this discouraged him from wheat growing.  He
then concentrated his attention more and more
on cattle and this became his profitable business.

After the hard times
had passed he began increasing his land area and bought until he had
acquired
1,800 acres.  He was
able to retire comfortably in 1912.

Michael Klinger,
London-born Film Producer

Born
in
1920, the son of an immigrant Polish tailor, Michael Klinger first
worked on
the market in London’s East End before investing in the 1950’s in two
Soho
strip clubs, the Nell Gwynn and the Gargoyle.  By 1960, with a fellow Jewish entrepreneur
Tony Tenser, he had started the Compton Cinema Club which would
titillate his audiences
by showing salacious imported films.

However,
finding it difficult to obtain enough of these films, Klinger and
Tenser started making
their own low-budget films. They then financed
Repulsion (1965) and Cul-de-sac
(1966), both directed by Roman
Polanski. After their association ended,
Klinger produced Get Carter (1971) starring
Michael Caine and Gold (1974) with Roger
Moore in the lead.  Michael’s son Tony has also been a film
producer.

 

Return to Klinger Main Page

 

Leave a Reply