Select Abbott Miscellany
- Abbot or Abbott?
- George Abbot as Archbishop of Canterbury
- The Will of George Abbott
- George Abbott’s Home in Andover
- Sir James Abbott and Abbottabad
- Early Abbotts in Newfoundland
- Early Abbotts in South Australia
Abbot or Abbott?
George Abbot as Archbishop of Canterbury
George Abbot became Archbishop of Canterbury in 1611 at a time when the court was becoming more Catholic. In spite of his defense of the Catholic nature of the priesthood, his Puritan instincts often drove him towards a harsh treatment of individual Catholics. This policy brought about the hatred of the King’s court and of William Laud who was to succeed him as Archbishop. However, King James himself never forsook Abbot.
In 1621, while hunting in Hampshire, a bolt from his cross-bow aimed at a deer happened to strike one of the keepers who died within an hour. Abbot was so greatly distressed by the event that he fell into a state of settled melancholia. His enemies maintained that the fatal issue of this accident disqualified him from his office and argued that, though the homicide was involuntary, the sport of hunting which had led to it was one in which no clerical person should lawfully indulge.
The King had to refer the matter to a commission of ten, which was divided in its opinion. The King then gave a casting vote in the
Archbishop’s favor, though signing also a formal pardon or dispensation. One commentator noted that Abbot was both “the only translator of the 1611 Bible and the only Archbishop of Canterbury ever to kill a human being.”
Abbot remained Archbishop until his death in 1633. He was essentially a lame duck Archbishop during this time, being affected by both his unpopularity in court and his increasing ill-health.
The Will of George Abbott
George Abbott, the early emigrant to America, probably came
from the town of Bishop’s Stortford in Hertfordshire, and not from
Yorkshire as family tradition has suggested.
He is likely to be the son referred to in the will of George Abbott the elder, a yeoman of Stortford, that was made in 1619.
commons, called Chalnerscroft or Chalkcroft.
To the two daughters of my daughter Anne (now wife of Mathew Reeve) 20 shillings each at twenty-one or marriage.All the residue to my son George Abbott, who is to be my sole executor.”
George Abbott’s Home in Andover
George Abbott and his bride Hannah went to live in the garrison house in Andover, Massachusettsth at was originally called Cochichawiche. He had spent two years building this house. It was constructed of heavy hewn or sawed logs with the corners securely fastened. The eaves were extended out over the walls by two feet or more so that in case of an attack, the defenders could fire down upon the enemy or pour water on a fire if one was started.
Old records indicate that the house stood on a plot of about four acres on the eastside of what is now Court Street in North Andover, a short distance north of the old burial place and meeting house. In this area, the houses were built close together for protection during Indian attacks. Later George and Hannah lived in a garrison house on their farm land, two or three miles to the southwest.
During King Philip’s War, a band of Indians attacked Andover in 1676. The villagers fled into the garrisons for protection, George Abbott’s house being one of these garrisons. However, one of George’s sons, Joseph, heard the alarm too late and was killed while working in the fields.
George’s garrison house was the home of the family until 1704 when it was replaced by a structure which later became known as The Old Red House. This replacement was used for many years after his death. It too in time was torn down and replaced with the first section of a large house which would be owned and occupied by Abbotts for seven generations through George’s eldest son, John. This house was eventually was demolished around 1858.
Sir James Abbott and Abbottabad
Abbottabad took its name from General Sir James Abbott, one of three illustrious sons who became generals of the family of Henry Alexius Abbott, a navy agent and Calcutta merchant.
James was commissioned in the Bengal artillery in 1823. In 1839 he was sent to negotiate a treaty between Khiva and Russia, signing the terms in St Petersburg in 1840. His memoirs of the Khiva campaign were published in 1843. He was the commander of the garrison at Hazara during the Sikh War of 1849-50 and held it so tenaciously that he received the thanks of Parliament.
The town of Abbottabad in the Orash valley in NE Pakistan was named after him. Abbottabad became famous in 2011 as the place where Osama Bin Laden sought refuge before being discovered and killed by American troops there.
Early Abbotts in Newfoundland
|1705||? Abbott||St. John’s (killed by the French)|
|1706||Thomas Abbott||St. John’s|
|1739||William Abbott||St. John’s or Petty Harbour|
|1765||Richard Abbott||son of Elizabeth Abbott of
|1791||Stephen Abbott||Bonavista petitioner|
|1793||Richard Abbott||Bay Bulls|
The Abbotts of Bonavista probably originated with Matthew Abbott, recorded in the Poor Law settlements of Dorset, who came to Newfoundland as a servant to James Perkins in 1758. He married Grace Gillette in Newfoundland two years later.
Early Abbotts in South Australia
The Abbott family from Little Addington in Northamptonshire came in stages to Australia. First it was William who had emigrated to Tasmania in 1827 and encouraged the rest of his family to make the crossing. Then it was his brother Giles who came with his wife Sarah and their four children on the Buffalo in 1836. They headed, however, for the new colony of South Australia where they were one of the first arrivals.
Giles was followed one year later by his father Giles Sr, mother, and four more siblings on the John Renwick.
Giles Jr was by trade a stonemason and by 1837 he had built himself and his family a stone house in what is now north Adelaide. A year later he built on another site a building that was to become the Queens Head Hotel. The Abbotts ran it for many years until it was sold in 1856. Today Abbott Lane on the east side of the Queens Head Hotel commemorates the Abbott family.
The Abbotts later moved along the coast to Middleton. John Abbott, a grandson of Giles Jr, built the Mindacowie Guest House there in 1899. It still stands and is a local landmark.
Return to Abbott Main Page
Leave a Reply