Brooks


 

Here are some Brooks stories
and
accounts over the years:

 

Brooks and Brooke in England

Brooke,
Brookes
and Brooks developed as surnames in England, although the Brooke (and
Brook)
name was mainly confined to Yorkshire.

1891 Census – 000’s Brooks Brooke Total
Yorkshire    1.9   2.6    4.5
Lancashire    5.2   0.4    5.6
South East    7.7   0.8    8.5
Elsewhere   15.8   1.4   17.2
Total   30.6   5.2   35.8

Brooke and Brooks were sometimes interchangeable.  An examination of the 1841 and 1851 censuses
shows many instances of Brook/Brooke in 1841 becoming Brooks in 1851.

 

The Death of John Charles Brooke


John
Charles
Brooke the antiquarian attended the Haymarket Theater in Pall Mall,
London
with Benjamin Pingo of
the York Herald
on February 3, 1794.  Both men were
crushed to death in a crowd of well-wishers eager to see the King at
the side
door of the theatre.

According
to Walter
Thornbury: “Mr Brooke had died standing, as he was found as if asleep,
and
with color still in his cheeks.”

 

 

Brooks from
Whalley in Lancashire

The
Brooks
were originally farmers in Whalley near Clitheroe on the river Ribble.  William Brooks traded in cotton and, in
partnership with a wealthy friend Roger Cunliffe, started a bank in
Blackburn.

His
son Samuel opened a
branch in Manchester and began to acquire land around Manchester.  He was known in the Stretford neighborhood as
“owd stink o’brass.”  Whalley Range, one
of Manchester’s first suburbs built as “a desirable estate for
gentlemen and
their families,” was named by him after his home village.
In Hale Barns he left his name in Brooks
Drive, Brooklands Road and Brooklands Station.

During
the late 19th century, his son Sir William Cunliffe-Brooks served
as the local MP and enjoyed the role of lord of the manor at Hale
Barns.

The Brooks Version of Battle Hymn of the Republic

This
was
the New England Brooks version of The Battle Hymn of
the Republic
.

 

“There’s
something
strong and mighty in a good old family name;

The name of Brooks shines very high upon the scroll of
fame;

For
nearly
all the Tribe of Brooks pursue a lofty aim.

The
clan goes marching on! 

CHORUS: 
Glory
to our grand old family, 

Virile,
worthy, brave and loyal! 

Ut Am-nis vi-ta la-bi-tur!.
The
clan goes
marching on! 

William,
Henry, Thomas,
James were fathers of our clan; 

Posterity
of David and Nathaniel never ran; 

Samuel
Brooks was virile, Maurice was a sturdy man.

The
clan goes marching on! 

David
was a hero and of Washington a friend; 

Phillips
was a wise man whom the world could comprehend;

William
fought and gave his life, his country to defend. 

The
clan goes marching on! 

The
Clan of Brooks is mighty with two hundred
thousand strong; 

In
seventy-six, five
hundred kinsmen fought to right a wrong;

Twenty towns now bear our name.  Sure,
let us sing that song. 

The
clan goes
marching on!”




John Brooks of Bladen County, North Carolina

Family
tradition
has it that John Brooks brought his wife, Susan, and six sons to
Virginia,
lived there a short while, and then moved onto North Carolina around
1735.

At that time he was granted land in Bladen
county.  Bible records showed that he
came from near the mouth of the James River in Virginia. Through
succeeding
generations there has been handed down a chest known as the “Sea
Chest” and said to have been brought from England by Susan Brooks, his
wife.   On the side of the chest in
the
original lettering is “S.B – 1735.”

An estate sale in Orange county, North Carolina in 1762 referred to him
as “Old Brooks.”  He was born
about 1690 and died about 1766.

A
genealogy of the family written by Joseph Headen in 1869 said the
following:

“John
Brooks first stopped in the West Indies
with his five other brothers, then they came to Virginia and stopped
for
awhile.  There the brothers separated,
three of them went North, the other three came South.
The first Brooks that ever lived in Chatham
county came from Fayetteville, North Carolina, having owned that land
where the
town now stands.” 


Joseph Headen had married
a great granddaughter of John Brooks and was born during the lifetime
of some
of his sons.

Records suggest that John
Brooks was a man of influence.  His
family in England had been notable before they came to America.  Named among the incorporators of the Virginia
Company, 1609 was Sir John Brooks, listed “in Virginia Commission
1631.”  So it is easy to understand
why John Brooks came to America and was immediately identified as a
member of
the Courts in his adopted land.

He also
seems to have been a man of wealth.  He
built what was then considered a costly home. The house was a two story
building, framed, weather boarded, ceiled and had glass windows and
paneled
doors.  The building survived until about
1940.

Brooks/Bruck, Jewish Pioneers in California

In
1852
Julius Brooks returned to his native village of Frankenstein in
Germany, having
lived in America for five years. In that year he met Fanny Bruck who
became
intrigued by his tales of adventure and begged him to take her with him
back to
America.  Fanny Bruck married Julius
Brooks when she was sixteen in August 1853. The newly-wed couple sailed
at once
from Hamburg to America.

As was the
custom in those days, the entire town of Frankenstein came to the train
to see
them off.  They brought rice, flowers,
old shoes, and called after them “Good Luck,” “God-Speed”
and “Early Return.”  Julius and
Fanny took a room at a boarding house on East 14th Street.
In the spring of 1854, they left New York,
for Galena in Illinois, where they heard that a company was leaving the
following June for California.

They had
to go by boat from Galena to Florence and there they purchased a
covered wagon
and two little mules in order to be comfortable (otherwise they would
have been
compelled to walk).  Ten individuals were
the number allotted to each wagon and one tent.

The wagon bed was 12 feet long, 3 feet 4 inches wide, and 18 inches
deep.  Each wagon was supplied with 100
lbs. of flour, 50 lbs. of sugar, 50 lbs. of bacon, 50 lbs. of rice, 30
lbs. of
beans, 20 lbs. of dried apples, 20 lbs. of dried peaches, 5 lbs. of
tea, 1
gallon of vinegar, 10 bars of soap, 25 lbs. of salt.

These articles and the milk from their cows,
the game caught on the plains, and the fresh water streams furnished
them
better food and more of it than the immigrants had had in their native
land.  Fanny said that the Yankees were
lovely people but very wasteful and poor cooks.
Their main forte was bread, pies and hotcakes, ham or bacon and
eggs.  Their vegetables were cooked
without taste and their meats either done to death or raw.

However, Fanny’s dream of striking it rich in
America was not realized.  They settled
in Marysville, California, where Julius opened a general store.  Fanny died in Wiesbaden in Germany in 1901.

 



Return to Brooks Main Page

Leave a Reply