Lloyd Surname Genealogy
accounts over the years:
- The Lloyds of Maesyfelin
- The Lloyds of Rhiwaedog
- Thomas Lloyd the Quaker
- John Lloyd in America
- Wye House
- Edward Lloyd and Lloyds of London
- The Lloyds of Doon in Limerick
The Lloyds of Maesyfelin
of the Earl de Clare, one of the Norman conquerors of Wales, held
castle, but in 1164 Cadifor ap Dinawal, after scaling the stone walls
ladders, succeeded in capturing the place.
For this feat he was rewarded with a coat of arms and the hand
daughter of Lord Rhys, Prince of south Wales.
His family later held Maesyfelin
Lampeter in Cardiganshire.
The first of
this family to adopt the Lloyd name was Gwilym Lloyd in the 14th
century. Later Lloyds were:
- Hugh Lloyd of Castle Howel, sheriff of
Cardiganshire in 1567;
- his son, Thomas Lloyd the
treasurer of St. David’s Cathedral;
- his son Marmaluke Chief Justice of Radnor,
Brecknock and Glamorgan and the first to settle at Maesyfelin;
- and his son
Francis who fought for King Charles during the Civil War but was
described as being
“not cast in the same mould as
Lloyd is remembered; or rather his love for his mistress Bridgett Leigh
remembered. While Francis was alive
Bridgett was routinely called his concubine. When he died in 1669, however, he secured in
his will her future and that of their three children who were all
and made heirs to the Maesyfelin
The story of Bridgett then darkens with the
legendary curse that was laid on the Lloyd estate and its heirs in the
curse be upon Maesyfelin,
every stone and every root,
casting the flower of Llandovery town
into the Towy to drown.”
curse foretell the downfall of the Lloyds of Maesyfelin?
The estate became encumbered in debts by the
early 18th century. John Lloyd then united
Maesyfelin with his neighboring Peterwell estate in 1750.
However, this last Lloyd owner was so
tyrannical and cruel that he was known in history as the evil squire of
Peterwell. He died by his own hand in
London in 1769.
The Lloyds of Rhiwaedog
According to family history, the Lloyds became possessed
of Rhiwaedog in Merioneth in 1395 by the marriage of their ancestor
Meredydd ab Ieuan ab Meredydd to Margaret, the eldest daughter and
co-heiress of Einion ab Ithel of Rhiwaedog. Lywarch Hen, an early
Welsh chieftain and bard, was said to predate them in lineage.
This family, in the course of the centuries, provided
Merioneth with a number of sheriffs – including John Lloyd in 1616, the
first perhaps to adopt the Lloyd name. Dr. John Davies was a
cleric at Llanfor church during John Lloyd’s time and he wrote a poem
to John Lloyd, asking him to give local residents a horse in order for
them to cross the river on the way to Llanfor church.
The main branch of the family died out in the early 19th
Thomas Lloyd the Quaker
and his brother Charles, together with several others of the gentry of
became converted to the faith of the Society of Friends under the
George Fox in 1663. Both were imprisoned
for their faith in 1664 and they stayed in Welshpool jail until 1672.
had the worst reputation of any in Wales; and as a further humiliation
some status who were imprisoned were put ‘in a low room; the felons and
malefactors in a chamber overhead, their chamber pots and excrements,
often falling upon them.’”
had been a physician in
Wales and had a large practice. Being of
his gentry class – and a man of high intellectual ability – he
exercised a wide
influence in matters of state, despite belonging to the Quakers. He was offered the inducements of high
and great influence if he would renounce his religion, but he
In 1681 he and Charles held a
public disputation at Llanwilling Town Hall for his kinsman William
Bishop of Asaph, one of the noted prelates whom James II had committed
Thomas eventually left Britain
for the freedoms of America and arrived in Pennsylvania in 1683. His wife Mary died three months after they
stepped ashore. He married again,
Patience Story, a year later. For most
of his time there until his death in 1694 he was the highest officer or
Magistrate of the province.
John Lloyd in
to a family letter written
in 1838, John Lloyd was born in London of Welsh parentage.
father John Lloyd was born in the city of
London in the year 1704 Old Christmas Day.
He had two older brothers, Joseph a watch and clock maker and
printer. He was bound to a boot and
shoemaker. Before his term expired he
married without his master’s consent.
This by the laws of England disqualified a man from being a
workman and through his life he could only be a journeyman. He returned home one evening from his work
and found his wife and child both dead.
This was a distressing circumstance.”
is thought that John Lloyd came to America as an indentured prisoner,
after having been convicted of the theft of some shoemaker’s tools. His punishment was fourteen years of
indentured service in America. He was
shipped in 1727 aboard the ship Rappahannock
more was known
about John until his marriage to Prudence Emery in Virginia in 1742
when he was
evidently a freed man. For the remainder
of his life he was a respected member of the Frederick county community. All five of his sons fought in the
Continental Army during the Revolutionary War.
Their descendants were to be found in Georgia and Texas.
Farm in Maryland was settled in the 1650’s by Edward Lloyd, a Welsh
Puritan. The farm was burnt down by the British
during the Revolutionary War. Edward Lloyd’s great
Edward Lloyd IV, built a newer grander plantation house in 1790.
At its peak, the farm covered 20,000 acres and operated with
more than a
thousand slaves. Abolitionist Frederick
witnessed the cruelty displayed towards the slaves on the plantation in
1820’s. The Long Green, a mile-long
expanse from the Great House to the Wye River, was the center of their
The plantation house remains with
the descendants of the Lloyd family.
Edward Lloyd and Lloyds of London
Lloyd was the owner of the coffee house that provided the name of
Lloyd’s of London, the global insurance and financial institution. Little is known about Lloyd’s early career,
other than that he opened his shop sometime before 1688. It
became a popular spot for maritime business
transactions, something Lloyd encouraged with a variety of services
the periodical Lloyd’s News.
original location was on Tower Street, but Lloyd moved in 1691 to
Street. The business of shipping and
insurance agreements continued after Lloyd’s death in 1713. Lloyd’s
List began publication in the 1730’s.
By 1774 Lloyd’s of London was out of the coffee business and
insurance for good.
The Lloyds of Doon in
was born, according to his death certificate in 1799 and was the
the Lloyds of Doon in Limerick. He
married Margaret (Jessie) O’Dwyer and the next records in which he is
are the baptismal records of his children in Doon in the 1830’s. Margaret must have died, possibly during the
years, because John remarried in 1853 to Ellen Hanley.
Before John’s second marriage, Griffiths
Valuations showed him renting a house in Liscaugh townland in Doon
village. After his marriage he moved
across the street
to the house and garden which Ellen had rented in Doon South townland.
John was listed as a farm laborer and lived
onto the age of ninety six (if his birth date is to be believed) before
in 1895. His son John was a tailor and
had a draper’s shop in the village. Two
of his other sons emigrated in the 1870’s, Edmund to Chicago and
Richard to New
Zealand. After working as a farm laborer
for several years, Richard bought his own farm on the outskirts of
Return to Lloyd Main Page
Leave a Reply