Select Marsh Miscellany
accounts over the years:
- De Marisco and Marsh
- The Marshes of Pampisford Hall
- Herbert Marsh of Faversham
- Marsh’s Library in Dublin
- John Marsh of Hartford and Hadley
- The Story of Ann Marsh
De Marisco and Marsh
England with William the Conqueror in 1066. Their name became a
in Gloucestershire, Somerset and Ireland, as well as in Cambridgeshire
and Norfolk in East Anglia. By
late 12th and early 13th century de Marisco was in certain places being
with Marsh, suggesting that perhaps the de
Marisco Norman name was a precursor to the Marsh English
name. De Marisco did mean in Norman French “of the marsh.”
Richard de Marisco or Marsh held
the office of Sheriff
of Somerset in 1212 and was later appointed Bishop of Durham. His nephew Adam de Marisco or Marsh, based in
inherited his estate. He was a notable
scholar and theologian of his time.
Stephen de Marisco or Marsh and his son Jeffrey of Newton Manor
were prominent figures
Walsoken and Ely in East Anglia
in the late 1100’s. In 1240 Jeffrey’s
daughter Desiderata married Sir Roger de Coleville, the lord of the
Colville. Many of the Marsh estates then
passed into the de Coleville family.
The Marshes of Pampisford Hall
Marsh from Stanmore in Middlesex, north of
London, was a notary in the Star Chamber during the reign of Queen
Elizabeth. He acquired Waresley manor in
Dorothy Burgoyne in 1572 and, a few years later, Pampisford
Hall in Cambridgeshire from
The curious fact, perhaps recognized by the participants
themselves, was that in 1240 the Newton Manor held by Marsh in
Cambridgeshire was ceded to Coleville by marriage; while in 1580
Pampisford Hall held by Cloville (undoubtedly a descendant) in
Cambridgeshire wa ceded to Marsh by money.
died in 1587
and his tombstone at Waresley read as follows:
lies interred the body of Thomas Marsh esq.
who died in Stanmore in the county of Middlesex, being of the age of 59
where he was buried the 17th of September 1587; and seven years
afterwards his bones were taken up and removed hither. He
was Clark of the Council of the Star
Chamber for the space of twenty years together. His
care and providence in raising up his
posterity ought not be buried in oblivion.”
Thomas, sheriff of
Cambridgeshire in 1594, held it until his death in 1624 and was then
by his son Thomas, sheriff in 1648. The
third Thomas died in 1657, leaving Pampisford (Waresley had been sold
by this time)
to his grandson Thomas. Thomas was
knighted by Charles II in 1661 and died in 1677. When
Sir Thomas’s son Edward died in 1701,
Pampisford went to the Parker family through their marriage to the
Herbert Marsh of Faversham
bishop and bête noire of Napoleon Bonaparte, was born in 1757, the son
Richard Marsh, Vicar of Faversham. He
was a pupil at Faversham Grammar School, where in 1767 he carved his
name and the
date on paneling. His handiwork can
still be seen in the Old Grammar School.
Marsh studied and wrote at Leipzig. The
influence of his political texts in support of Britain during the
Revolutionary and Napoleonic Wars led Bonaparte to proscribe him. To avoid arrest at Leipzig, Marsh lay hidden
for several months in a merchant’s house. After
being elected in 1807 Lady Margaret
Professor of Divinity at Cambridge, he married his Leipzig protector’s
Marsh was made Bishop of
Llandaff in 1816 and later served as Bishop of Peterborough.
Marsh’s Library in
was built for Narcissus Marsh, Church of Ireland Archbishop of Dublin
formerly Provost of Trinity College.
St. Patrick’s Cathedral had agreed in 1701 to provide a plot of
a library at St. Patrick’s Close adjacent to the Cathedral.
commenced in 1703. The First Gallery and
the Old Reading Room
seem to have been completed in 1705. The
Library was formally established by Act of Parliament in 1707 and the
Gallery was added during the course of 1708 or 1709.
was built to the order of Archbishop Marsh
and has a collection of over 25,000 books and 300 manuscripts. Marsh himself donated his own library composed
largely of Oriental wotks, regarded as
one of the finest in England, of over 10,000 volumes.
When it was opened in 1707 it was the first public library in
Marsh lived to see the Library
completed. He died in 1713 and was
buried just beyond the Library, in the grounds of the Cathedral.
John Marsh of Hartford and
came with the Rev. Thomas Hooker to Hartford, Connecticut and was one
of the town’s founders in 1639. The next
year he married Ann Webster who was the
daughter of Governor John Webster, the forebear of Noah Webster of
and dictionary fame.
1659 he moved with
his wife and seven children to Hadley, Massachusetts with the
“withdrawers” under the lead of his father-in-law John Webster. There he was to experience two shocks.
came the death of John Webster in April 1661.
It turned out that two of his sons in
were not thrifty and John Marsh had to step in as a father figure for
them. And a
to one of the sons was abused in the town and accused of witchcraft.
came the death of his wife Ann in June 1662.
A flock of motherless children was about
him and after two years he married again, to the widow Hepzibah Lyman.
The Story of
Ann Marsh, born in Devon,
was 21 when she was convicted of stealing a bushel of wheat and
to seven years “beyond the seas” to the new penal colony at Botany Bay. In 1789 she joined 229 other women and
six of their children on the infamous Lady
Juliana. The steward on the ship
observed: “When we were fairly out to sea, every man on
board took a ‘wife’ from among the convicts, they nothing loath.”
and protector was the ship’s surgeon who fathered a child by her.
But the child died and the ship’s surgeon had
returned to England and Ann was in need of another protector. For a time she found him in John Irving. He died in 1795 and she turned next to
Flannagan and then (after he had absconded) to William Chapman. After these various liaisons she had nine
children in tow.
Apart from bearing this
large family, she managed a small goods and passenger boat service
Sydney to Parramatta, employing men to handle the boat.
She also assisted Chapman in his various
business activities. After his death in
she held a wine and spirit licence for the King’s
Head Tavern, a replica of which has been built as part of Old
An adventurous and busy life
came to an end when Ann died in 1823 at the age of 54. Her
resting place has not been identified.
But oral family history says that her eldest son John Irving
to be buried with his father in the old St. John’s graveyard in
Return to Marsh Main Page
Leave a Reply