Cruickshank Surname Meaning, History & Origin
Cruikshanks – is
a Scottish surname found in the northeast of the country.
The most likely origin
of the name is locational – that it comes from the river Cruick
in Kincardineshire where cruick
means a hook or bend in the river and shank means a
point of a hill.
some have suggested that Cruickshank is a nickname for a man with a
or legs. Cruick here again
means hook or bend and shank a leg-bone.
Cruickshank Resources on
- Cruikshank Family in Canada.
Cruikshanks in Canada.
mentions of the name were:
Crukschank in the foundation charter of
Urchany chapel (in present-day Ross and Cromarty) in 1334
who was admitted as a burgess in Aberdeen in 1408.
had many variant spellings. The spelling began to standardize in the
early 1600’s. Aberdeen had the largest
numbers then. But the name started to
spread southwards towards Edinburgh later in the century.
Aberdeenshire. John Cruickshank was
a tenant at Achnahandet in 1671. Cruickshanks started to
appear in increasing numbers at Forgue and Drumblade in the 1700’s. William Cruickshank,
born there in
1776, made his home at Rothiemay across the border in Morayshire.
George Cruickshank married Jean Stewart at
Huntly in 1790. Another George Cruickshank married
Anne Allen at Longside in 1815. Both had
descendants who emigrated to Canada.
Crookshanks was an Edinburgh customs inspector who was dispossessed of
position for his role in the Jacobite uprising in 1745.
His youngest son Isaac left Edinburgh to seek
his fortune in London.
William S. Cruikshank, born in Banffshire in 1856, was
the man who built the King’s Theatre in Edinburgh in 1906.
Cruikshanks continued to run his theatrical firm in Edinburgh until 2006.
Cruikshank, who arrived in London in 1783, had within ten years
established himself as one of the leading caricaturists and book
of his day.
His two sons, Robert and
George, followed in his footsteps.
George became even more famous. His
book illustrations for his friend Charles Dickens and other authors
reached an international audience. Upon
death in 1878, it was discovered that he had fathered eleven
children with a mistress named Adelaide Attree, his former servant.
America. There were
Scots Irish Cruikshanks who came to
- one was Andrew Cruikshank who
came to Pennsylvania and fought under Captain Samuel Miller in the
Revolutionary War. When Miller was
killed by Indians in 1778, Andrew married Miller’s widow.
He later became a wagon-master between
Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.
- another was
John J. Cruikshank, born in Dublin, who also came to Pennsylvania, in
in 1826. He headed west in the 1840’s
and started a lumber business in Hannibal, Missouri in 1856. His son John became a wealthy lumber baron
and built himself Rockcliffe
And another Pennsylvania arrival, this time in
1831 from Scotland, was Alexander Cruickshank a stonemason. He settled in Allegheny.
He soon became a grocer there and his family
turned their attention to producing jams and jellies.
The Cruickshank Brothers Co. was successful
and continued in operation until 1956.
P. Cruickshank meanwhile had moved to Autuauga county, Alabama
1822. He was killed there eight years
later. His son Marcus was an Alabama
politician during the Civil War, his grandson George the newspaper
the Birmingham Chronicle.
Canada. Robert Cruickshank came to Montreal from
Aberdeen around the year 1773. He
established himself as a silversmith and merchant in the town.
Among later Cruickshanks who came to Canada
- James and Elizabeth Cruickshank
from Cromdale in Aberdeenshire who emigrated to Musquodoboit, Nova
the year 1803. Their descendants later
settled in Minnesota.
- Alexander and Elizabeth Cruickshank from Huntly who came
in the late 1830’s and made their home in Gatineau, Quebec. Other family members arrived in the 1850’s,
settling in Ontario. James Cruickshank
founded the Cruickshank Carriage Works in Weston. His
brother George made his home in
Heathcote, also starting a carriage works.
- Robert Cruickshank from Longside
meanwhile came out to Saskatchewan sometime in the 1890’s.
He was recorded as a ranch owner in the Moose
Jaw region in the 1901 census.
Origin of the Cruickshank Name. George F. Black in his 1946 work The Surnames of Scotland commented as follows:
“With the possible exception of the first record of the
name, which may point to a nickname, I do not think that this surname
has any connection with bow-leggedness or ‘crooked shanks.’
earliest spellings of the name, with the one exception noted, are
always in the singular. The two counties with which the name is most intimately
connected are Kincardine and Aberdeen. In the former we have the
river Cruick rising in the parish of Fearn and joining th North Esk
near the kirk of Stracathro. The surname may thus quite well be of local origin – the
shank on the Cruick or Cruick-shank. An early record was John
Crokeshanks, burgess of Haddington, who rendered homage in 1296.”
Cruickshank and Variants. The Cruickshank spelling started to standardize in Scotland in the early 1600’s. But there
were still many regional variations. The
list following shows these variations and when and where they first
|Cruikshank||Early 1600’s||Aberdeen mostly|
|Cruickshank||Mid 1600’s||Aberdeen mostly|
|Cruikshanks||Mid 1600’s||Midlothian mostly|
|Crookshank||Mid 1600’s||Edinburgh mostly|
|Crookshanks||Late 1600’s||Midlothian, East Lothian and Fife|
William Cruickshank in Rothiemay. In 1841 the Lossat
was the home of the Cruickshanks. William
Cruickshank had been born in Forgue,
just over the parish boundary in Aberdeenshire, around 1776. Living there also was his wife, Margaret (nee
Spence) and daughter Jane, age 35 years, both of whom had been born in
well. Jane said she was Jane
Cruickshank. Possibly faced with
“officialdom,” she would forget to give her married name. Jane’s
husband, John Reid, was a farm bailiff.
and Margaret’s other children –
James (born in 1798), George (born in 1804) and Helen (born in 1820) –
left home. The couple was still in the same house in 1851. But sadly by 1856 Margaret had died in
Rothiemay and William Cruickshank was a widower.
The Cruikshank Theatrical Family of Edinburgh. William Stewart Cruikshank was the builder whose firm constructed the King’s Theatre. The owners had experienced financial
during construction and the rights were transferred to the King’s
Company which had been formed by Cruikshank. It opened in 1906.
His son A.
Stewart Cruikshank became the managing director who in 1928 merged the
with Howard & Wyndham the theatrical empire. He
became the Managing Director of the
company. He introduced The
Half Past Eight Show in
during the summer when usually theatres were closed.
After a failed start it became extremely
popular. In 1949, at the age of 72, he
was killed by a motorcycle near Ravelston.
The last Cruikshank family director
of Howard & Wyndham was Elyot Beaumontwho was buried in the family
George P. Cruickshank Shot Dead. George Patterson Cruickshank from Scotland settled in Autuauga county, Alabama, in 1822. The next year he married Lovedy Campbell
McNeil, the daughter of Lachlan McNeil an early settler in the county.
was a tailor by trade. He was killed by one of his patrons in
1830. This patron disliked having bills
him and made the remark that he would kill anyone who would do this. George, not aware of this feeling, handed him
a bill for tailoring one day when at the court house.
The customer then pulled out his pistol and
Rockcliffe Mansion in Hannibal, Missouri. John J. Cruikshank had grown rich as a lumber baron. Some
of this went after a nasty divorce, a
scandal which rocked the little town of Hannibal. Two
later he re-married, this time to Annie Louise Hart who was
his junior. It was said that Miss Hart
had actually been engaged to Cruikshank’s son, but his father had
him with disinheritance.
He and his new wife had to live in some style. In 1898 and now retired, John began work
Rockcliffe Mansion where he dreamt of living out his days.
Rockcliffe became the largest house in Hannibal
and was considered by many to be the finest residential structure in
Midwest. Perhaps part of Cruikshank’s
reasoning behind building such a house was to regain his place in
celebration at the opening of the house certainly went a long ways
this, as Cruikshank hired the Empire Orchestra to play for more than
Later John Cruikshank began to take long walks at night
to tend to his
affairs, business or otherwise. Rumor
had it that he was still carousing, even in his later years. Perhaps things weren’t going so well in the
family. When he departed the house for
his nightly rambles, he would take the servant’s stairs, which was next
Cruikshank’s chambers, so she would know he was gone by the slamming of
He died in bed in 1924. Much
everyone’s surprise, his wife essentially walked out the door of
Mansion and moved next door to live with her daughter, according to
to return to the house again.
The house remained
unoccupied for forty three years. It was
saved from demolition in 1967 and restored.
The ghost of John
J. Cruikshank is still
said to haunt the building.
born in Scotland, was an 18th century
caricaturist who did most of his work in
George Cruikshank, his son, was perhaps even more
famous as a caricaturist and
book illustrator. His book illustrations
for Dickens and other
writers reached an international audience.
Cruikshank was a 19th century American lumber baron whose
based in Hannibal, Missouri.
Helen Cruickshank was a Scottish
suffragette, poet, and focal point of the Scottish Renaissance in
early/mid 20th century.
Select Cruickshank Numbers Today
- 7,000 in the UK (most numerous
- 2,000 in America (most numerous in New York)
- 6,000 elsewhere (most numerous in Canada)
Click here for return to front page
Leave a Reply