Tom Hanks Family History
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks, better known as Tom Hanks, was born on July 9th, 1958 to Amos (Bud) and Janet Hanks in Concord, California. He has two older siblings, Larry and Sandra, and one younger, Jim. His father was an itinerant cook and the family moved around a lot. By the age of ten, Tom had lived in ten different houses in California.
Tom studied theater in California and got his acting break in New York in the early 1980’s. His big breakthrough came with the 1994 release of the smash hit film Forrest Gump, for which he won a Best Actor Oscar. His box office appeal has continued over the years.
Tom’s family lineage extends from California all the way back to Virginia in the early days of America.
The Hanks in Virginia
Tom Hanks’ forebear in America was Thomas Hanks, born in Gloucestershire, who came to Virginia around 1654. He had been a captured soldier of Cromwell’s Army during the English Civil Wars and was, it is believed, transported to America on the Rose as an indentured servant. In time he became a tobacco farmer in Richmond county, Virginia.
His son William, born in Virginia in 1655 and known as “the carpenter,” prospered and had amassed a significant estate by the time of his death in 1704. It was the youngest of his three sons John who had married Catherine Williams in 1713 who was to have the most notable offspring:
- the line through his second son Joseph led to Nancy Hanks, the mother of Abraham Lincoln.
- and the line through his third son John led eventually to the actor Tom Hanks.
John’s son John and grandson Abner both fought in the Revolutionary War. Both men married into the same Dale family. Abner was said to have been married six times and to have had twenty-one children. After the Revolutionary War Abner moved to Kentucky and then in 1829, with his fifth wife Hannah Stewart and the Utterback family, to Indiana where he married his sixth wife and later died.
There was already another Hanks in Kentucky before Abner’s time. That was John Hanks who was born in Virginia in 1767 and descended from another son of immigrant Thomas Hanks. He was a frontiersman, Indian fighter, farmer and hunter, a friend of Daniel Boone, and a man who at the time of the Revolutionary War was an eyewitness to some of the earliest events in Kentucky – the capture of war chief Blue Jacket near Maysville and the building of the first settlement in eastern Kentucky.
William Hanks, the son by Abner’s first wife Molly Dale, was in Kentucky by about 1805. Following him were two generations of Hanks – William Hanks Jr. and Daniel Boone Hanks – who were both born and raised in Kentucky. It was Daniel Boone Hanks from Booneville, Kentucky who made the move West with his wife Molly in the 1870’s. They were pioneer settlers in the tiny settlement of Paskenta near Red Bluff in California.
Daniel’s son Ernest met his death in California in 1935 at the age of forty-four. He was clubbed to death by a ptchfork wielded by his long-term partner E.C. Best after a dispute. There were no witnesses. After two trials Best was eventually convicted of the manslaughter of Ernest Hanks.
Ernest’s son Amos was just eleven at the time of the killing. At eighteen he enlisted in the US Navy and went to sea. After the war he became an itinerant cook. He had four children by his first wife Janet Frager, the third of whom was the actor Tom Hanks.
Tom Hanks’ Family Tree
- Thomas Hanks from Gloucestershire (1625-1674) m. Elizabeth Lee (1627-1702) in England
- – Peter Hanks (1648-1702)
- – Richard Hanks (b. 1651)
- – William Hanks (1655-1704)
- – Stephen Hanks (b. 1659)
- – Robert Hanks (1661-1691) m. Margaret
- William Hanks from Virginia m. Sarah Woodbridge (1651-1708)
- – William Hanks (1679-1733) m. Hester Mills
- – Luke Hanks (1681-1757) m. Elizabeth Glasscock
- – John Hanks (1681-1740)
- John Hanks from Virginia m. Catherine Williams (1694-1779) in 1713
- – William Hanks (1714-1782) m. Winifred
- – Eleanor Hanks (1717-1782) m. Mr. Dodson
- – Elizabeth Hanks (1720-1788) m. Richard Woolard
- – Sarah Hanks (1723-1780)
- – Joseph Hanks (1725-1793) m. Nancy Lee
- – John Hanks (1728-1810)
- John Hanks from Virginia m. Susannah Dale (died 1766)
- – George Hanks (1760-1824) m. Elizabeth Dale
- – Abner Hanks (1763-1846)
- – John Hanks (1765-1821) m. Charity Gatlin
- – Elijah Hanks (1766-1821) m. Winifred Dale
- Abner Hanks from Virginia m. Mary (Molly) Dale (1765-1806) in 1787
- – Thomas Hanks (1791-1882)
- – Mary Hanks (1796-1831) m. Elisha Mills
- – Elizabeth Hanks (1798-1863) m. John Utterback
- Thomas Hanks from Virginia m. Sarah (Sallie) Tandy (1791-1862)
- – Allen Hanks (1814-1872) m. Nancy Scanland
- – Elijah Hanks (1816-1901)
- – Wesley Hanks (1817-1885)
- – Thomas Hanks Jr. (1819-1897)
- – Emerine Hanks (1821-1892) m. Walter Ferris
- Thomas Hanks Jr. from Kentucky m. Rachel Cull (1817-1870)
- – Daniel Boone Hanks (1847-1920)
- – David Hanks (1848-1864)
- – Lutisha Hanks (1849-1911) m. Aldrich Huling
- Daniel Boone Hanks from Kentucky m. Molly Mefford (1855-1923) from Missouri in 1873
- – Effie Mae Hanks (1886-1930) m. Lester Flood
- – Silas Hanks (1888-1947) m. Mary Brady
- – Ernest Hanks (1890-1935)
- – Eugene Hanks (1893-1963) m. Lorena Tatham
- – Albert Hanks (1894-1977) m. Hazel Uhl
- – Mabel Hanks (1898-1966) m. Edward Williams
- – Kenneth Hanks (1901-1951)
- – Pearl Hanks (1903-1980) m. Robert Black
- Ernest Hanks from California m. Gladys Ball (1889-1965) from Iowa
- – Gladys Hanks (1917-2007) m. Arshall Vann
- – Ernest Hanks Jr (1922 -2001) m. Phyllis O’Hagen
- – Amos (Bud) Hanks (1924-1992)
- – Mary Hanks (1927-1993) m. Loyal Brummet
- Amos (Bud) Hanks from California m. Janet Frager (1932-2016) in 1950 and rem. Winifred Finely in 1962 and Frances Wong in 1965
- – Larry Hanks (b. 1953)
- – Sandra Hanks (b. 1956)
- – Tom Hanks (b. 1958)
- – Jim Hanks (b. 1961)
- Tom Hanks m. Samantha Lewes in 1978 (divorced in 1987); rem. Rita Wilson in 1988
- – Colin Hanks (b. 1977)
- – Elizabeth Hanks (b. 1982)
- – Chester (Chet) Hanks (b. 1990)
- – Truman Hanks (b. 1995)
Click here for return to front page
Leave a Reply