Select Noyes Miscellany
accounts over the years:
- Noy and Noyes of Cornwall and Wiltshire
- The Noyes of Ramridge in Hampshire
- The Noyes Family and Yale University
- Crosby Noyes’ Early Years
- Colonel D.K. Noyes in Wisconsin
Noy and Noyes of Cornwall and Wiltshire
name came over from Normandy about the time of the Conquest, and
settled in the
counties of Wiltshire, Hampshire and Cornwall. The name is supposed to
derived from Noye or Noyon in Normandy, anciently called
now Charleval, in the canton of Grainville.
But there are several localities in that province called Noyers,
may have an equal claim. The family of
Noyes of Wiltshire and Sussex have, from time out of mind, borne the
as that of Noy of Cornwall, to which the celebrated Attorney General of
The Noyes of Ramridge in Hampshire
It is thought that the Noyes name may have
originated in East Anglia. Noyse
appeared at an early time in the adjoining
parishes of Laxfield, Fressingfield, Wingfield, and Ubbeston in the
part of Suffolk. Here the chief
landowner was the Earl of Suffolk.
manor of Ramridge in Hampshire was also
part of the Earl of Suffolk’s estates. It
is possible that the Earl sent one of his Suffolk men to oversee the
Hampshire manor, thereby founding the Noyes family in that county. Ramridge near Andover was important as one of
the greatest fairs in England was held partly on its lands.
court rolls for
the manor of Ramridge record that Robert Noys was farming the manor
rendering its accounts) in 1432. The
Noyes family continued as farmers there for at least two more centuries.
this family descended Nicholas, son of Robert and Joan Noyes, who was
on a 1545
list of taxpayers for the benevolence of Cholderton in the county of
came Peter Noyes, MP for Andover in 1614, who moved to Berkshire where
his family became established at
Trunkwell and Southcote
among the Berkshire gentry.
The Noyes Family and Yale University
Rev. James Noyes of Stonington, Connecticut
was among the ten Congregationalist ministers who were the first
Yale University in 1701. They are now
known as “The Founders” and their engraved names line the facade of
Woodbridge Hall at the University.
Rev. James was the first Senior Fellow (Chairman) of the Trustees;
younger brother the Rev. Moses also served as a member.
Later Noyes would attend
The Rev. Daniel Parker Noyes graduated from Yale in 1840, as
did his two sons Frederic in 1862 and Edward in 1880.
Theodore Noyes received a Yale medical degree
Haskell Noyes, a well-known basketball player of his time,
graduated from Yale in 1908. Newbold
Noyes who graduated in 1941 became a newspaper editor in Washington
Professor Edward Noyes was chairman of the Board of Admissions for
years, was director of the Master of Arts in Teaching program, and
Yale Medal of Honor in 1968. His son
Edward Noyes II, who was also presented with the Yale Medal of Honor
lifetime service to Yale in 1996, served
as president of the Yale Club of New Haven.
Crosby Noyes was born on a farm in Minot, Maine in
1825. Until he was fourteen years old,
he lived with his grandfather Nicholas Noyes, a prominent farmer and
civic leader. He then left the farm and
spent the remainder of his youth in Lewiston working in a cotton mill
making and repairing harnesses in order to earn money to pay for
According to one family source, he left home because his
birth had been
the result of a liaison between his mother Miranda Noyes and a local
Samuel Hilborn and that, being illegitimate, he was not fully accepted
In 1847 he went to Washington DC to seek his fortune. Being short of funds, he left the train in
Philadelphia and walked most of the rest of the way.
He arrived in Washington with $1.62 in his
pocket. He worked in a bookstore and as
a theatre usher. He also wrote for the
weekly Washington News as well as for the
Saturday Evening Post.
Colonel D.K Noyes in
His grandfather Aaron had grown up in New Hampshire,
his father Enoch in Vermont. In 1844
Enoch departed Vermont with his family for Wisconsin territory. They eventually settled on a farm in Sauk
county where he died in 1855.
His eldest son DK trained as a lawyer and in 1847
went out to Baraboo in Sauk county when it was still wilderness and
had been cleared. Although four saw
mills were running, settlers were few.
He was the first attorney at Baraboo and
erected the first office in the town.
There was not much law practice to attend to and he spent the
part of his time locating land. He did
more of that probably than any other person in the area.
He also established a newspaper The Republic
which he ran for seven
years. He then purchased a farm of 320
acres and erected a commodious residence, large barn, and made other
In 1861, at the outbreak of the Civil War, he enlisted in
Wisconsin Infantry. At Antietam his right foot was taken off by a
shell while he
was acting as captain. After the battle he remained at a private
house for eight
weeks before he could be removed to Georgetown hospital.
All but his heel bone was taken from the foot
and he was rendered a cripple for life.
After about three months he went home and with the aid of
able to walk a little.
He restarted his newspaper in Baraboo and in 1867 was
appointed its postmaster, a post which he held for some sixteen years. He retired a well-to-do and respected member
of his community.
Return to Noyes Main Page
Leave a Reply